Thursday, September 24, 2009

Well Begun is Half Done

Well begun is half done. I agree. However, at times it is difficult to get started on a task. Sometimes the task seems so huge or tedious that we put it off until a "more convenient time." The fact is, this rarely works. So I apply my "nibble at the mountain" strategy. Here's how I apply it to various tasks:
• If I have to vacuum, I get the vacuum cleaner out and tell myself I'll just vacuum the hall. Invariably, I vacuum the whole living room.
• If I have to write a letter, I get out my stationery and a pen. I tell myself I'll just address the envelope and write the salutation. Usually I end up completing the letter.
• If I have to edit writing pieces for my writing group, I take out the first piece and tell myself I'll just edit page one. I almost always finish editing the whole piece.
I think when I give myself permission to just do a small part of a task, psychologically I'm willing to do more because I've convinced myself that I can stop whenever I wish. This way I prevent the job from becoming a drudgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment: